Thursday 8 January 2009

Success and disaster - Disaster

I forgot to take photographs not intentionally and I wish that I had remembered to as it might have made me feel a little better. Daniel my son had asked for a pair of slippers for Christmas. He has large feet so I asked him to draw around them. Having got the templates I set out to make the slippers adding 1" around the final slipper shape for shrinkage. I made what looked like a nice pair of slippers and even made turn over tops. I finshed them off like Molly's slippers with some soles cut around the original template.
Daniel was working during Christmas as he is a Theatre Recovery nurse, so as we were going to visit him after New Year I knew I could see if they would fit. I must admit I was rather worried as the slippers took ages to felt together but shrank a great deal. However the soles fit OK.
Daniel was delighted with them and immediately put them on. I could immediately see a problem. My worst fears had been realised. His toes stuck over the soles by about 2 inches. His feet had no problem getting into the slipper but his big toe was using the top of the slipper. Within two days a hole appeared.

Guess what I've got to make another pair. I think he must have moved his foot around when marking the pattern, so whilst at his house I drew around one of his trainers and I shall leave a good 2" around that template.
We laughed and joked about it and I even suggested that he cut the top end off, but of course they were supposed to keep his feet warm.

Still 2 out of 3 successes isn't too bad I suppose.

Poor Daniel.

I'd love to know if anyone else has had this problem.

No comments: