Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Trying out machine embroidery


I managed to be firm with myself today. I switched off the computer at 9.30 am and spent a day teaching myself machine embroidery. The book I have ordered on the basics hasn't arrived yet so I thought I'd just have a go. I already had some felt made and my intention was to use vintage silks but the machine needles I had didn't have a large enough eye for this so I used ordinary sewing cottons. After a few doodles on a spare piece of felt I felt confident enough to attack the larger piece. I must say I quite like the effect I've created.
Getting no know mum's old machine is rather difficult. It goes much faster than any machine I've worked on and I couldn't get larger stitches because of th, unless I wound the wheel around by hand. I wonder whether the foot pedal has something wrong with it as I'm normally very good with my foot controls.
I think my eaten leaf project will have to go on the back burner for a while until I become more experienced and have read my new book. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Post a Comment