Sunday 1 July 2007

Woolfest 2007


My daughter and I set out for the hour and a half trip up the motorway to the Woolfest yesterday. The rain was lashing down but we were determined to have a wonderful day together. We had no idea what the show at Cockermouth would be like but it had been advertised as the largest in the country so we felt pretty sure that our journey would be worth it.



The rain had stopped for a minutes on our arrival and we were so very surprised at the amount of cars there. We were sent to park high up overlooking the venue.
After managing to walk down the slippery wet steps, we entered the animal sheds where the fest was taking place. It was the second day so we had missed some of the entertainment like the hog roast and sheep sheering but there were over a hundred stalls to look at.


There was that wonderful aroma of sheep and damp fleece, as we headed through the crowds for the cafe and a quick sit down and drink. We were so eager to look at the goods that I left half of my coffee and headed for the stalls. It wasn't long before our heads were spinning with the vibrant colours, the beautiful items of clothing and the wool. I've never seen so much wool, different colours tones and textures, bag fulls, sack fulls. To just look and feel was pure ecstasy. I came away loaded with a variety for wool for my felting and my daughter was equally loaded with with superb hand dyed and painted knitting wool.

I was so busy looking at the stalls, that I didn't take as many pictures as I had wished, but I managed a few. Just look at these sheep, they are so cute.













More on the Woolfest tomorrow.


No comments: